Pink Lemonade Bundt Cake
adapted from The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Berenbaum
13 Tbsp. unsalted butter (at room temperature)
3 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp pure lemon extract
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest (meyer lemon, if you can get it!)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (again, meyer lemon if you have it!)
1 cup powdered sugar
fresh squeezed lemon juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter and flour a 6 cup bundt pan (or spray with cooking spray and flour)
1. Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix on low until combined.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, milk, lemon extract, and vanilla.
3. Add the butter and 1/2 the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix on low until all ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat for one minute to aerate batter.
4. Add remaining egg mixture in two batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition. Add in food dye, if desired (I used 2 drops).
5. Scrape batter into your bundt pan and smooth surface with a spatula.
6. Bake for 55-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Prepare syrup: in a small pan over medium heat, stir the sugar and lemon juice until dissolved.
8. Remove the cake from the pan and poke the still warm cake with a wooden skewer (or similar width wire tester/thermometer). Brush the syrup over the entire cake with a pastry brush (I actually use a paint brush...designated only for cooking, of course!).
9. Allow cake to cool and prepare the icing. Place powdered sugar in a bowl and slowly add the lemon juice until desired consistency is achieved. Add food dye to desired color (I used one drop). Ice cake once cool.
(Variation: Lemon Poppyseed Bread)