home about myboys kidsart recipes tutorials
speech

i heart faces: dessert recipe!

Tuesday, April 6, 2010


This week the ladies at i faces are taking the week off, and instead we are all sharing a lovely dessert recipe, with pictures! Some of you may recognize the recipe below. I have shared it before, but it has been quite some time AND it is a perfect spring recipe. Plus, I am short on time and already had the pictures. Yep. This recipe is for a simple, easy, summery lemon icing. This is the kind of icing that is perfect on sugar cookies, or as a glaze on cupcakes, or drizzled over lemon poppyseed bread...and so on. It is so adaptable I bet you could come up with at least a dozen uses for this versatile treat.

First, I'll explain the basic recipe. Then I will share some easy adaptations with you.

Lemon Icing
Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 small to medium lemon

Directions:
1. Place powdered sugar in a bowl.

2. Grate the zest from your lemon into the bowl with the sugar. I had a small lemon, so I used all the zest. Use less if your lemon is huge.



3. Cut your lemon in half and remove the seeds. Squeeze the juice from one half into the bowl and whisk. Better yet, use a lemon reamer to juice the lemon. The lemon reamer is my absolute favorite kitchen gadget. I can't imagine how I got by without it. You need to get one of these if you don't already have one--the amount of juice you can get using one is phenomenal!

4. If the icing is the consistency you want, then you are done. If not, add more juice from the other half of the lemon. Continue adding juice and whisking until it is how you want.


5. Use your delicious icing as you wish! I made tiny sugar cookies today, so that is where mine ended up (I mean besides the spoonfuls that ended up in my mouth, that is...).


Ways to modify this:
1. Whisk in your favorite berry jam--raspberry, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, all go great with lemon. Use about 2 teaspoons of jam to start--you can always add more if you want it to have a stronger berry flavor vs. the lemon.
2. Use less powdered sugar, more lemon juice. This will make a glaze instead of an icing--it should be pourable. This type works great for the lemon poppyseed bread.
3. Start with vanilla sugar (to make this, place a vanilla bean pod in a baggie with some sugar for a few days. The sugar will take on the vanilla flavor).

Enjoy! And, head over to i ♥ faces for TONS of fabulous dessert recipes!

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I remember you doing something wonderful with Meyer Lemons awhile back. Am I remembering correctly? I just bought 6, and now I'm not sure what to do with them :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. to the pp, mmmm, meyer lemons are lucky to make it anywhere other than my mouth!!

    and kelly, this recipe is wonderful! who would've thought two ingredients could do so much?! thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Offers of food? Sign below!