We have just returned from a weekend visit to Lucas' family, so being tired after the long car ride, this will be a straight and to the point post. The recipe? Cavatini. I suppose this could also be called pizza spaghetti, or baked spaghetti, or something similar, but we like Cavatini. It sounds fancier.
This dish has been a household favorite for quite some time, but it went under some renovations about a year ago that upped the yumminess factor tenfold. The original dish used ground beef--our Cavatini 2.0 uses sausage. Flavor? Where were you hiding all these years?
1 12 oz. package spaghetti noodles (we prefer whole wheat)
1 jar spaghetti sauce (sorry, don't have the size available to look at- just your average size jar...)
1 lb. ground sausage (you can use Italian or homestyle, both work)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (feel free to use more or less to your liking).
1. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Boil spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
3. Brown sausage and crumble. Drain.
4. Combine spaghetti noodles, sauce, sausage, and 1/2 of the cheese in the baking dish. Stir to combine.
5. Arrange pepperonis on top as in picture.
6. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and spread remaining cheese on top. Return to oven, uncovered, for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.