home about myboys kidsart recipes tutorials
speech

Sunday Suppers: Mmmm, Pizza

Sunday, April 19, 2009
Tonight we had a simple (and cheap!) dish for dinner.  We used to make pizza fairly often, but had somehow forgotten how much we enjoyed doing this and only recently began to do it again.  In the past, I used to make a crust that required several hours of rising.  Now that Lincoln has joined us, I am more about the simplicity of the "just add water" variety of pizza crusts.  So, one packet of "just add water" crust mix, a 1/2 cup of water, and 5 minutes of rising later we had our pizza crust!


We divided the dough in half and each made our own individual pizzas.  Lucas made himself a double layer pepperoni creation--that would be cheese and pepperoni, topped with another layer of cheese and pepperoni.  I don't care for pepperoni pizza, but I'll admit that the picture he took of his pizza looks delicious.  In fact, despite having eaten my own individual pizza less than 3 hours ago, I think I could go ahead and eat another one right now.  Who's with me?

  I made a delicious tomato, basil, and mozzarella pizza for myself, and my, was it tasty.  Mmmm.  I love fresh basil on pizza, especially with fresh tomatoes.  This may be my favorite version of pizza to make.  I apologize that my picture isn't quite as appetizing as Lucas' pepperoni picture-wasn't feeling the artsy pizza vibe, apparently.

There isn't really a "recipe" per se for this pizza.  More like a list of ingredients, or really, just suggestions.  Here's what we used:

Homemade Pizza on the Cheap

1 package "just add water" pizza crust mix
1 small can tomato sauce (nothing fancy here--we had store brand, unflavored tomato sauce)
1 package shredded mozzarella cheese
pizza seasoning (or just oregano, if you don't have pizza seasoning)
toppings:  1 medium tomato, 2 large sprigs of basil rolled and sliced, pepperonis, grated parmesan cheese

Mix the crust mix, let rise 5 minutes, and divide in half.
Roll out and place on pizza pan.
Top with a few spoonfulls of tomato sauce.  Sprinkle sauce with pizza seasoning.
Top with your toppings.
Add a final sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
Bake according to package instructions.

 
Whew!  Cutting it close to the wire on this Sunday deadline here.  But, in all fairness, we did have to EAT the supper first before I could post about it, right?  So, all in all, I am pretty proud of myself for making and sticking to a deadline.  AND, I am about to write another post before the day is done--I couldn't go without a birthday post for the buddy, of course!  4 months, today!!  It has gone by so fast!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Offers of food? Sign below!