home about myboys kidsart recipes tutorials
speech

Keema Beef Curry

Monday, January 16, 2012

We've been making more and more Indian dishes around here. Lucas got me this cookbook for my birthday last year, and we've been using Patak's curry pastes (found at most grocery stores) for when we want a quicker meal or don't have all the spices on hand to make our own blends. This recipe was found in the January 2012 issue of Food & Wine. It was good--a little bland, but that was probably due to me using the wrong type of curry. The recipe called for Madras curry; I used yellow curry. Also, though I remember buying fresh ginger, I could not find it anywhere and had to resort to ground ginger. But, we liked it enough that we'll give it another try! I served it with jasmine rice and homemade naan (using the dough from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. So easy...so delicious!). I also made homemade ghee that I used to cook the naan. If you haven't tried that, I recommend it! I'm no pro, so I'll just link to the tutorial I used instead of trying to explain it ;)

Keema Beef Curry
adapted from Food & Wine, January 2012


Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon ghee (or neutral oil, if you don't have ghee)
1 lb. ground sirloin
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
1.5 Tablespoons Madras curry powder
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 large or 2 small white potatoes, cut into 1/2" cubes
1.5 cups chicken broth
14.5 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes in their juices
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Directions:
1. Heat the ghee or oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add ground sirloin and cook until brown.
2. Add the onion, garlic, curry powder, slat, and pepper. Cook until onion is soft.
3. Add the potato, chicken broth, coconut milk, and tomatoes with their juices. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and continue cooking until potato is softened.
4. Crush some of the potatoes (I used a fork) and add the peas. Cook 2-3 minutes more.
5. Serve over rice and top with cilantro. Naan makes a great side dish!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Questions? Comments? Offers of food? Sign below!