home about myboys kidsart recipes tutorials
speech

Mixed Berry Crisp

Monday, July 4, 2011
We don't usually have dessert with dinner unless we have guests over...and lucky for me, my mom was recently in town visiting, so I had an excuse to make as many sweets as I wanted in the name of being a good hostess.   This particular dessert we have had twice.  I'll go ahead and try to justify that by pointing to the sugar coated fresh summer berries.  We have been gorging on all sorts of berries around here due to great sales at our grocery store.  Raspberries are $1.00 a box this week!  According to my belly, that is $8.00 well spent.


This mixed berry crisp is really quick to put together.  If you don't have individual ramekins, you could make one big crisp in a 9x9 pan or even a round cake pan.

Mixed Berry Crisp
created by Kelly


Ingredients:
filling
1.5 cups blueberries
1 cup raspberries
1 cup blackberries
1-2 Tbsp. corn starch
1-2 Tbsp. sugar

topping
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 c. flour (I used 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 all purpose)
3/4 c. quick oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. butter (cold)

Directions:
1.  Combine filling ingredients in a bowl and stir gently to coat the berries with the sugar and cornstarch.
2.  In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, quick oats, and cinnamon.
3.  Cut the butter into small cubes and cut into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter (or forks, or your hands...) until crumbly.
4.  Divide berry mixture evenly between 4 ramekins*.  Top each ramekin with topping mixture.
5.  Place ramekins on a baking sheet (to protect your oven against bubbling over berries) and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, or until berries are bubbly.

To serve:  top with homemade whipped cream or ice cream...both are delicious!

*Notes:  You could also make this in a 8x8 square pan if you don't have ramekins.  Increase the baking time to 40-45 minutes if using the 8x8 pan.  If you do use the ramekins, please note that you will wind up with extra topping.  I placed mine into freezer bags, tossed it in the freezer, then pulled it out again a week later when berries were on sale again.  It froze great!  Good thing to keep on hand if you need a last minute dessert!

1 comment:

  1. That's my kind of dessert. I bet this was delicious warm out of the oven. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your crisps up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Offers of food? Sign below!