But then I saw a recipe for baked oatmeal. BAKED OATMEAL. It is genius. Why had I never heard of this before now? If you hate oatmeal, try this. I would eat this oatmeal every day. Every day, I say. It is perfect in every way. (you can thank Hop on Pop and Green Eggs and Ham for the sweet rhymes).
Note: this recipe says to refrigerate over night in order to set the oatmeal, but I've read elsewhere online that is ok to make in the morning and bake right away. i haven't tried that, so if you do, let me know how it works!
Amish Baked Oatmeal
original recipe found at Food.com
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar (update: we have been using 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup honey instead...)
1.5 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. milk
3 cups oats (regular or quick)
1. Combine the eggs, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well so there are no lumps.
2. Whisk in butter, milk, vanilla, and oats.
3. Pour mixture into a 9x13 pan greased with butter or cooking spray.
4. Cover and refrigerate over night.
5. In the morning, uncover and bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until set in the middle.
6. Serve warm with milk if desired.