home about myboys kidsart recipes tutorials
speech

Real Food, 13: Orange Berry Muffins

Friday, May 21, 2010

A big thank you to Juli for sharing this delicious recipe with me! I have never really baked with an orange/strawberry combination before, and that is a shame. It is a citrusy, sweet combo perfect for summer. Enjoy!

Orange Berry Muffins
adapted from a recipe given to me by Juli

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I like safflower)
1 egg (ACK! As I am going through these ingredients, I just realized I forgot the egg when I made these! I can tell you that they still taste great and look great, but when I make them next I'll use the egg and let you know if it makes a difference...)
1 Tbsp. grated orange zest
1 cup thinly sliced fresh strawberries (dried very well) (note: don't use frozen berries!)
3-4 Tbsp. strawberry jam

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a standard size muffin tin (or use liners).
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a second bowl, whisk together the milk, sour cream, vegetable oil, egg, and orange zest. Stir in the strawberries.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
5. Place a spoonful of batter in each muffin cup. Top each with a teaspoon (or so) of jam. Spoon remaining batter on top until each cup is about 2/3-3/4 full.
6. Bake until a toothpick in the middle comes out clean (15-18 minutes). Cool in the pan 5 minutes, then remove.

Enjoy!

(note: the recipe says it makes 16 standard size muffins; I got 12)


3 comments:

  1. Those look so yummy, even without the egg,lol. We will give thema try.
    sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my, they better have strawberries at that new kemah farmer's market today, this sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Offers of food? Sign below!