home about myboys kidsart recipes tutorials
speech

Tutorial Tuesday: Brown Sugar Chex Mix

Tuesday, December 22, 2009
monkeys on the bed!


This is the best Chex mix you will ever eat. Ever. I have already made it twice since December started, and have every intention of making a third batch before the month is out (I share, of course) : ) Sweet and salty and crunchy and....so so good. I mean, any recipe with brown sugar, butter, and chocolate can't go wrong.

So, make this. Now, if you happen to have all the ingredients. I suppose you could wait until tomorrow, but really, why? So. Delicious.

Brown Sugar Chex Mix
(from my mom...not sure where it originated, though...)

Ingredients:
8 cups Chex cereal (any type--rice, corn, whatever...)
1 cup pretzel twists
1-1.5 cups brown sugar
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
3 Tablespoons corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup-3/4 cup peanuts (I like the sweet and crunchy type, but honey roasted is also good...)
1/2 cup M&Ms (or more...)

Directions:
1. In a large microwave safe bowl, combine the cereal and the pretzels (NOTE: I have no bowl in my home that will hold that much at one time, so I have to make this in 2 batches. Just divide all the ingredients in half...).

2. Place the brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup in a microwave safe measuring cup (I use a glass Pyrex). Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from microwave and stir to combine.

3. Stir baking soda into brown sugar mixture.

4. Pour mixture over the cereal/pretzel mix and stir gently with spoon to coat the pieces. Not all pieces will be coated, but that's ok.

5. Place entire bowl in the microwave and microwave on high for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave (NOTE: be careful! it will be very hot!) and stir again with a spoon to distribute the brown sugar topping evenly (about 1 minute). Pour out mixture onto waxed paper to cool.
6. When cool, break pieces apart and place in a plastic ziplock bag. Add the peanuts and M&Ms and shake bag to combine.

Mmmmm. Don't forget to share (I know, it will be hard!)


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. lindsay and I definitely plowed through a bucket of this stuff last week. thanks mom!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Offers of food? Sign below!